Riverside - Out Of Myself CD (album) cover

OUT OF MYSELF

Riverside

The Crow
4 stars Splendid debut of one of the most interesting bands appeared in the last years...

The music of this album is not strictly progressive metal... For me is like in the same vein of bands like Porcupine Tree or Anathema, with a lot of experimentation and complex passages, and the influence of Pink Floyd is very obvious... The metal comes in some parts, but it's not the main aspect of this music. The experimentation is the keynote, with marvellous keyboard pats and hypnotic bass lines. Most of the songs are really catching thanks the amount of small details they have... And the ascending instrumental parts they have. The bass lines are the body of the songs, and the layes of guitars that come slowly, accompanied with the great keyboards... The Mariusz Duda vocals are dreamy, deep and sometimes ripped... This man is the soul of the band, with his outstanding bass and good vocals.

Both the long and shorts songs are really good... Maybe the last two are not so great. The Courtain Falls is not bad, but not really catchy for me... And OK, the slow and ambiental last track, is not the perfect ending in my opinion... It lacks strength and emotion, in my opinion. But the rest of the album is really outstanding. The Same River shows you what this band is able to do, with long instrumental parts, both peaceful and strong... Out of Myself is a short and rageful track. I Believe is a wonderful acoustic track, in the same vein as the later In Two Minds, one of the highlights of the album...In two Minds is really marvellous, a track in the same way as Porcupine Tree. I really love the lyrics of this song. The instrumentals Reality Dream I and II are catchy and shows the band's potential... And Loose Heart is another top, a really catchy song, with beautiful lyrics and great tempo. If you want to know fast the personality of thi band, Loose Heart is perfect.

Conclusion: if you are in the experimental and progressive rock, you must hear this band... They have a lot of influences, but they translate them brilliantly into their music, making an original and exciting mixture. If you like Porcupine Tree, Green Carnation, Wolverire, Anathema... You must hear this band. And "Out of Myself" is just perfect to start with them. Not so complex like later albums, but with all the great personality of this group of excellent musicians from Poland.

My rating: ****