Strawbs - Grave New World CD (album) cover

Strawbs

Prog Folk

The Lost Chord
5 stars 10/10 Masterpiece

This was the first album I heard by Strawbs, and it set the stage for a musical journey that I will never forget, and continue to experience. "Grave new World" I believe is the band's greatest masterpiece, along with some other incredible albums, and is just a beautiful, epic exploration into progressive rock. Upon first listen I knew I had a gem on my hands, and a great band at that. The music on here is very melodic and beautiful, aggressive at times and strange at very few times, but overall a magnificant sound that any melodic, harmony loving person can enjoy. I cannot really pick favorites on here because the entire album is a sort of journey, ofcourse some highlights include the beginning and ending tracks as well as other incredibles as "Queen of Dreams" and "The Flower and the Young Man". These songs are just pure beauty and anyone interested here should just check this album out to hear these tracks.

This album set me off and I ended up purchasing every Strawbs album I could find, ended up seeing the band twice so far, met them at both shows and got some merchandise signed for my extreme fandom satisfaction! I love this band, the various line-ups include some of the most brilliant, nice and just plain awesome people. Highly recommended to folk/symphonic prog lovers. There is so much to say for this band I cannot help but be short and quick or else this would take years to write, but in the end I just adore the sound this band created, the vocals of Dave Cousins & Tony Hooper (who sadly left after this album, and is one of my favorite early Strawbs members), and just the overall style and sounds this band went through, all at it's true prime I feel on this album. Get ready, for a Grave New World...

The Lost Chord | 5/5 |