Opeth - Lamentations: Live at Shepherd's Bush CD (album) cover

LAMENTATIONS: LIVE AT SHEPHERD'S BUSH

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

rakam
3 stars A flawed concept ?

Don't get me wrong the "Damnation" album is gorgeous but the first part of this filmed concert is a little boring. Let me explain my point of view : I would say that Opeth's repertoire is 1/4 "mellow"-3/4 "heavy with growls", but here we have half-mellow half-heavy and here lies the problem (IMO), I understand that due to copyright issues the entire set couldnt be released but the dvd fails here. It wasn't a problem for me the first (and maybe second) time I watched it, but after that I'm tempted to skip the mellow songs and go directly to "the real thing".

Maybe it's the fact that I don't have any problem with growling and heavy music (I listen to bands like Nile or Suffocation ...) or it's because I know that there is a heavy set ....

I think I would have liked this more if the songs were more "mixed" during the set.

Maybe the next dvd will adress this issue ?

rakam | 3/5 |