Animals As Leaders - Weightless CD (album) cover

WEIGHTLESS

Animals As Leaders

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

poito
5 stars 4.5. Still keeping high. These animals really lead. The drums are much better than in their debut 09 album, the Djent sound is more prominent, and the themes are a bit darker in general. This is anything but a weightless album. Here they get even further away from melodic, but I would say it is still accessible and pleasant enough for a general prog audience. They still remind me of King Crimson, in this occasion closer to the Starless and Red era. Metal is almost gone. Is this a new path? Thou I don't enjoy the excessively dominant djent distorted and overpowered sound at times (I don't care whether it is a style or not, it's simply boring), they use it with enough taste and variation not to dismiss the tracks for the next listening. This is again a masterpiece or close.
poito | 5/5 |