King Crimson - Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins:  A Scarcity Of Miracles CD (album) cover

JAKSZYK, FRIPP AND COLLINS: A SCARCITY OF MIRACLES

King Crimson

poito
2 stars It's hard for a lover of classic KC as me to judge their follow-ups. That music was not one to talk about, it was, and still is food for my soul, maybe for the deepest regions of my soul where I'm not one anymore. And that is what I always expect from KC. In this respect, this late release honors the title. The musicians are there, the sounds too, the soul'is whiter?! No surprise anyway, 'time waits for no one' as the Stones used to sing eons ago. Some tracks like 'The Light of Day' or 'The other man' still get close there, but all others are nice tunes well-crafted by a group of old chaps that do not wear T-shirts anymore. And the generosity of the satisfied man lets you choose from two different options in several tracks, one of them sweetened, naturally. The non-KC tunes are OK, heavily based on Collins improvisations, with a few drops of early Fripp's here and there, some even beautiful, others reminiscent from his monotonic ambient-whatever time with Eno, even some poppy notes (shame) but the overall taste is jazzier not KC. It is a good album, but for Collins fans only. Check the first 90 seconds of the 'Hidden Secrets'.
poito | 2/5 |