Lab rinth - Labyrinth CD (album) cover

LABYRINTH

Lab rinth

aapatsos
Prog Metal and Heavy Prog Teams
4 stars I am amazed nobody has bothered to write a proper review about this album as Labyrinth is a popular band...

Labyrinth are most known by their Return to Heaven Denied back in 1998 and I was also interested in that album, when as a kid I was watching in the pages of Metal Hammer being praised as a good return of power metal... I don't hide you that I was expecting to listen to a typical power-metal album at my first hearing. However, I was impressed...

The album is quite close to power-metal, no doubt about this. The big difference is that although there are some 'typical' heavy riffs, the melodies are very interesting. All songs sound 'energetic' with great vocals and speedy riffs are followed by 'catchy' melodic parts, which shows that this band has grown more mature in its song-writing. There are some more progressive moments with clever keyboards, but the album cannot be easily regarded as progressive, in my opinion... That does not mean that lacks innovative ideas, actually there are many of them in here.

The ultimate 'stand-out' from this album is LIVIN' IN A MAZE. A song with a melody that sticks into your mind...

Overall, a very enjoyable album, that could be a 're-invention' of power metal through some more 'proggy' paths... 4 stars deserved...

aapatsos | 4/5 |