Porcupine Tree - In Absentia CD (album) cover

IN ABSENTIA

Porcupine Tree

SoundsofSeasons
4 stars 4 stars

Well I've had this album for quite a while, and unlike most people, this one actually had to grow on me. It seems this is PT's more 'accessible' albums, or at least, its a fan favorite because it's got some of their best and catchiest songs. Now, although for months I thought that only the first half of the album was worth a listen, ive recently come to the point that i can enjoy the album in its entirety. Also rather recently ive learned that this is actually a concept album as well (a boy grows up to become a sick serial killer), although its really hard to figure that out and I had to be told this. As for the music others have explained it rather well.

The best tracks by far are Blackest Eyes (probably one of the most easily recognizable, and loved, PT songs), Trains (with its beautiful acoustic guitar leading into a beautiful wall of sound), and Sound of Muzak (with its cool, albiet odd, time signature and drum beats.) These are essential, hear these three, and you will have a pretty good idea of what PT is all about. If you are a PT fan, you have to own these songs, buy em on iTunes if you have to. However, due to the lack of cohesion between songs, being and overly long (needed some fat trimmed!) this will fall into the...

4 stars.. category for me.

SoundsofSeasons | 4/5 |