Solaris - Marsbéli Krónikák (The Martian Chronicles) CD (album) cover

MARSBÉLI KRÓNIKÁK (THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES)

Solaris

progaardvark
5 stars Solaris' Marsbéli Krónikák is one of the few shining lights that got unnoticed during that bleak 1980s period of progressive rock, not to mention the fact that very few people in the West ever heard this album. It wasn't until the 1990s and exposure on the Internet, plus someone taking the time to reissue this on CD that the West finally got to hear this amazing gem from this five-piece instrumental band from Hungary. I first discovered the band by reading their entry in the GEPR in the late 1990s.

Marsbéli Krónikák is an entirely instrumental album inspired by Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles. The music is highly synthesized (Moog and ARP), extremely energetic, with amazing interplay involving lush synths, electric guitar, and flute. Not one member of the band is a standout, but together they achieve some brilliantly constructed symphonic progressive rock where each part plays an enormous role in the overall sound. The melodies are very catchy and I find myself humming them in my head, not just days, but months later. The closest description alluding to other more popular Western bands I can come up with is 1970s Camel on steroids with a skilled flute player (references to Jethro Tull I feel are erroneous, at least for this album).

One of the few masterpieces to come out of the 1980s and an absolute must-have for fans of symphonic progressive rock (especially those that love lush synths). Probably the best 1980s prog rock album, definitely the best from Hungary of all time, and perhaps in the top 20 of all progressive rock albums. Easily five stars and highly recommended.

progaardvark | 5/5 |