Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient CD (album) cover

ZILTOID THE OMNISCIENT

Devin Townsend

Experimental/Post Metal

UMUR
5 stars This is a great album from Devin. I am a big fan of Strapping Young Lad and to a leaser extent Devin Townsend Band. Ziltoid takes the best from both bands and combine it to a masterpiece of progressive music. The mellow atmospheric parts from Devin Townsend band and the raw heaviness from S.Y.L. are present throughout the album.

Devin plays everything on the album. The drums are not played by Devin though, he has programmed them using the Drumkit from Hell software that Meshuggah also used of Catch 33. Of course you can hear that the drums are not played by a human being, but this really comes close. Gene Hoglan has had a similar sound on some of his recordings both with Death and Strapping Young Lad. The click track that many heavy metal drummers use on their bassdrums sounds really artificial anyway. Bottom line is that this shouldnīt scare you away.

The ridiculous lyrics are really funny, almost Zappa like. I wonīt tell the story here, just point out that this is a concept album and a really humorous one.

Everything just clicks here, I really love this album. I would recommend this album to anyone. People who have listened to Strapping Young Lad and found it too heavy and people who have listened to Devin Townsend band and found it too atmospheric, should try this one out. The combination of the two genres just rocks. This is really great. Devin really outdid himself on Ziltoid the Omniscient.

A little funny thing for the fans is the Zappa like conceptual continuity in the song Color Your World. 27 sec. into the song there is a little melody piece from the middle section of the Strapping Young Lad song Wrong Side from the latest ( Last ?) album "The New Black". What a brilliant move and another sign of Devinīs genious. I hope he will keep this style for couple of album, allthough I doubt that Devin will agree on my request. The next album will probably be something completely different. But on the other hand thatīs the fachinating thing about mr. Townsend isnīt it ?

UMUR | 5/5 |