Ange - Guet-Apens CD (album) cover

GUET-APENS

Ange

poito
2 stars When I first listen to albums by bands that were not in the front line of prog pioneers in the first half of the 70's, I put my head in alert to stay off the comments by prog seekers and divers. My rule is to check them against music at that time. Hidden prog gems are out there, no doubt, but in most cases you realize why they were hidden. Some bands have survived in their places but never made it world-wide. Some gained public acclaim after all others have passed away, true (what does not improve their music, anyway). The reason is simple, they have little to offer that has not been given before. In 1978, this album went without notice because it added little. The last track Captain Coeur de Miel has something, but always subdue to the lyrics, sang in a tragic, theatrical style that gets one nervous and wishing it to finish asap. In France, the band GONG created anew, and showed the path to many, amongst others these ANGE. The band has much more inspired compositions, CARICATURES, to start with. That was a good start. But sorry, I can't find much here to remember.
poito | 2/5 |