Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV CD (album) cover

Led Zeppelin

4 stars For many, this recording represents Led Zep's pinnacle achievement. Certainly, it was their most commercially successful. "Black Dog" and "Rock and Roll" are hard rock 'standards'. Though it has been dreadfully overplayed and has become 'tired', there is no denying the timelessness of "Stairway to Heaven", which for many represents the best rock ballad ever recorded. I personally love the drive of "Misty Mountain Hop" even though Plant's vocal ooh-ooh-ooh-oohs are cliche at this point. "Going to California" is a very pretty little ballad featuring beautiful acoustic playing by Page. From my own perspective, I don't care for this recording quite as much as I do for the earlier stuff and frankly, I prefer Physical Graffiti and lots of stuff on House of the Holy to this record. Again, definitely not a progressive rock record but highly inspiring to a generation of music fans and aspiring musicians. It is brilliant and quite excellent. Many would call it a masterpiece. For me, it is another four star recording.

Share this LED ZEPPELIN review