Styx - Equinox CD (album) cover

EQUINOX

Styx

poito
4 stars Definitely this album by the band STYX has much more prog than their earlier productions. Those were Protoprog American fine rock, which in 72 spread and seeded all over. Styx landed in Prog in this Equinox in 75. We all know what had been created in the prog scene before this year, don't we? Even if I'm a bit wounded by the underrating of their early rock work I had to acknowledge the great additions here. Somehow the band had reached a sound that will be later familiar to us in bands like KANSAS, RUSH, or BOSTON, and precursor of many other bands in the 80's. The opening track Light Up is a clear example. My favorite is the end track Prelude-Suite Madame Blue, a slow piece (for the band's standards) with interesting synth motifs. The acclaimed Lorelei could be considered today an AOR piece for mainstream ingest, but let's give it its place in history. Mother Dear is another track with great sensitive synth passages. All in all, this is a great album, probably an essential one that should populate the shelves of any prog lover, an historical transitional work from the symphonic era to modern prog. Listen to it a couple of times to grasp all its values.
poito | 4/5 |