Dream The Electric Sleep - Heretics CD (album) cover

HERETICS

Dream The Electric Sleep

poito
4 stars I have to admit it, after listening to this album half a dozen times in a row while driving my car (had nothing else to play at that moment) this band has gained me. I'm not particularly fan of floydian grandchildren, but these guys have music. Nearly all tracks lock inside a catchy melody that develops slowly, and it takes a few turns to get into you, but it does. The sound is well balanced between guitars that often recall Meddle, a deep bass plus a curious banger at the drums that seemed to me a bit above tone, or maybe it was the acoustics in the car's cabinet, and a bearable creative singer that knows well when to stop and when to command (though he goes to falsetto too early). The structure of the themes is rather flat, more pop than prog, few changes of tempo, a repetitive catchy motif, some guitar excerpts with few slow floydian riffs, almost everything is left to the ambient. There are no fillings; that's a good point for the band. Really enjoyable, and some pieces are really excellent, like Ellizabeth, Fist To Face a song to sing with friends in a boring football match, and a delicious sung and banged piece in Lost Our Faith, which is beautifully united to the last two tracks into a single piece, and includes a grandiose horn in How Long We Wait, and a catchy rocking guitar motif in the closing Ashes Fall. You won't be disappointed with this album, whatever your preferences.
poito | 4/5 |