Styx - Pieces Of Eight CD (album) cover

PIECES OF EIGHT

Styx

poito
4 stars One more return of the band STYX to the soft rock scene. This album is a collection of rocker tracks somewhat in the mood of Queen, Asia, and other easy listening AOR bands, much to the taste of the pretty mid-age lady of the cover in wild days. Anyway, it has little resemblance to their early rocker albums, that was good traditional rock with strong American roots (STYX I and II); that was a different history. This one does not wear woodcutter shirts, it is the birth of the sissy rock that was so successfully exploited in the 80's by thousand long-haired clone bands banging around a shouting beardless blondie teen male with less music in their souls than a christmas card. Pity, because this band has made great contributions to the Prog-Rock, but the vulture industry and probably their own musical tendencies took them into the money-paved road. I've already commented on the schizoid musical production of STYX, at least in the early years which I'm more familiar with. Styx reminds me to these big movie stars that are known as the toughest men in the world, who alternate their movies as total destroyers with others as babysitters in bland comedies, such as Swartzenegger, Johnson The Rock, Diesel and so. At least, the easy albums by Styx contain a good collection of inspired rockers, and this Pieces is probably the best of all, with very catchy themes, some of which even became all-time pop-rock anthems such as Sing For The Day, I'm OK, Blue Collar Nights, Queen of Spades, and Renegade. Don't come here for prog. Obviously my generous rating is not because that. I'm always generous with pioneers, whatever they did.
poito | 4/5 |