The Storm - The Storm CD (album) cover

THE STORM

The Storm

poito
5 stars I've got to thank whoever brought STORM into the Archives. This is the band of my infancy. What a period, foreign music entered in my country smuggled by the few people that visited or travelled abroad. Storm was playing rock for some time before they managed to record. I still remember standing outside the bullfighting arena in Burgos, during one of the first rock festivals ever (satanic meetings for the regime officers), listening to the band from the outside. Storm was the most skillful and creative hard-rock band of the time, a heretical squad for the average people, totally stupefied by massive offer of cheap flamenco and scurfy pop in the media for musically illiterate youngsters, you know. What was that? Andalusians playing hard rock? Come on! And doing so well as to rival giants Deep Purple and the like! Unbelievable!. Genil's hammond did not envy Lord's, and Angel Ruiz mastered the guitar as a Hendrix/Blackmoore/devil hybrid clon, not a surprise for an Andalucian guitarist anyway who may teach a couple of guitar lessons to those worshipped monsters, born inside the body of a wooden guitar that he learnt to play before he got to walk. The band seemed to have a curse on them. But I'm not a believer, you know, and I like to think that their problems were more substantial than witches and planetary coincidences. The amazing quality of this band was dangerous for the regime, young people were beginning to ask, and to ignore grey men hiding behind big moustaches and black mob-style glasses, Among others, they were victims of the army. While other musicians with grey friends in the right place got some leaves from the military service, even skip it, these heretical rockers were not. By the time they were freed, the audience they had got touring in the northern region of the country, where rock music was appreciated -by the way, lads highly skeptical and unwilling toward Andalusians because of sociopolitical reasons, but they had to swallow and bow-, they had been nearly forgotten. I remember their re-appearance in a damned concert in a sport pavilion south Madrid, during an in-door festival for Andalusian prog bands (Triana, Medina Azahara, and one more I can't recall) in which they were to break, I had grown enough to be allowed in, lots of expectancy and excitation in the audience, waiting for two years to see them in stage again, a few tracks heating the audience and ... What? the power line went down... twice! What a disaster. It is today and I still believe someone did it on purpose. The drummer, and amazing Diego Ruiz, considered by many one of the best drummers ever in Spain, went down the stage and begun to play with the sticks anywhere, chairs, the floor, anything, for several minutes, trying to hold the people so they wouldn't leave for the bar, two magic drum improvisations that no one will ever forget in the middle of a wreck. When the power came back they were allowed to play only a couple of themes and kicked off. What a disaster. They never recovered from that. Simply, they vanished. The next album was a complete failure, I still can't believe they tried to adapt their music and failed, someone must have cheated on them. These were genuine hard-prog master musicians, cheated and mistreated. There is an URL for a life video somewhere in the review. Do a fav to yourself and learn some history while you dribble listening to THE STORM.
poito | 5/5 |