Gens de la Lune - Epitaphe CD (album) cover

EPITAPHE

Gens de la Lune

poito
5 stars When I listened to the first minute of the first track, Brilliant Embryo, I told myself: man, this is gonna be something big. Whoever did this must have a lot of music in the brain. Indeed, the whole album is a wonder. Decamps is simply at his best. Already in his 60's and still creating such impressive collection of themes. Some say this is music from the seventies, but they forget that the 70's is Mother Nature for the music. It is simply eternal, and whoever can write a 70's worth piece of music, he/she automatically earns a place in the Olympo. It does not matter if Decamps already began in the 70's, very few of the old days heroes can write today as in the old days: the 70's are everywhere in the air for those loving music to enjoy anytime, to the end of the days. These Olympic themes make you feel bad at the time of scoring, because one reminds the wasted 3's and 4's that probably were not more than 2 had you compared to them. These needed a 6 to be fair with them. Too late. Everybody's sin. Judging from the score to this band, it is evident that contemporary prog listeners have a strong bias, and I adventure to say that it is mainly an age bias. Symphonic prog (including Canterbury, Italian, and may be other subclasses) are the root of it all. Prog means creation, not just variation. Any guitar riff is variation, but it is nothing without creativity. And although the term symphonic may be a bad choice as it confounds young people who sets back or take it aside -you know, "that's my father's old stuff"- . A day soon will come, my son, when the speedy prog you devour will get boring to you in your not that fresh neurons, simply because it repeats the same patterns and your hungry brain always needs new stuff. And as it happened to all of us who are not that young anymore, you'll start listening "slower" bands, attracted because... they are much more complex!. That's it. And then, wonders of music as the production by Francis Decamps with Gens De La Lune will suddenly become an astonishing discovery and a favorite of you. It'll come, my son.

poito | 5/5 |