Anima Mundi - Jagannath Orbit CD (album) cover

JAGANNATH ORBIT

Anima Mundi

poito
3 stars There is a slow passage in the middle of the first track We Are The Light that makes me think these guys could make their music more enjoyable. I came to them out of curiosity; a Cuban prog band appeared to be a good adventure for my ears this weekend. Their music is full of influences, all Anglo-Saxon by the way, (a missed opportunity) but wears an excessively energetic dress that blurs somewhat the compositional effort. It sounds as if they are in a hurry. I guess the Caribbean soul cannot be slowed down. This first 17 min long track contains lots of different musical motifs bound without any intermission for rest, all fast-paced. That was a mistake in my opinion. And it is the general trend all throughout. There is little time to relax and enjoy. The music is varied and high-spirited but there is something wrong with it, I think the problem is an excessive use of pre-arranged instrumental bits and clichés, without a strong musical idea behind to unite them all. It's as if they compose with arrangements. The percussion section is Pop-dull, the drums add nothing, that's a bad sin for Cuban music. Voices can also be improved. If only there were some new musical propositions? Only the title track has some bits of new land to explore, heavily watered with Yessistic motifs though. The two last tracks, a long instrumental Rhythm of the Spheres and a sung Sanctuary are the best, much more equilibrated and crafted in a way that you can listen to them several times without stress.
poito | 3/5 |