Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy CD (album) cover

THE DIVINE WINGS OF TRAGEDY

Symphony X

asimplemistake
3 stars The Divine Wings of Tragedy was the first album that I bought that could be considered Prog, although I did not know muchabout prog at the time. I have no doubt that these musicians know how to play their instruments, for The Divine Wings of Tragedy is one of the best showcases of their abilities that I know of. My problem with this album was that I feel it was before the band really matured into the style that is truly theirs. There is a heavy influence from Shred, a genre dominated by the Maestro, Yngwie Malmsteen. The band has a large focus on Shred-like solos and fast paced playing, which they broke free from later in their career with V: The New Mythology Suite.

Another problem that I have with this album is the amount of cheesiness, which is common in the genre of Symphonic Progressive Metal. I personally don't feel that lyrics about quests, swords, and slaying dragons relates to me or my life. This being said, the mood of the music perfectly fits the the mood of the lyrics, which I'm totally ok with.

So far I have been throwing out a lot of negative factors about this album, when really there are a lot of pluses. Like I said earlier, the musicianship is excellent, and the song writing is some of Symphony X's best, especially on the epic title track. This album is not a disappointment to any fan of the Symphonic Prog Metal genre, but if you want music more relevant to our current times, maybe avoid this one.

asimplemistake | 3/5 |