Ayreon - The Universal Migrator part one: The Dream Sequencer CD (album) cover

4 stars This album surprised me for a couple of reasons. First of all, the music on The Dream Sequencer is considerably more mellow than what I was used to hearing from Ayreon in The Human Equation and Into the Electric Castle. Secondly, the music which initially seemed a bit dull grew on me the more that I listened.

The Dream Sequencer is the first installment in Ayreon's Universal Migrator concept of a time/space traveler exploring the universe at key moments in history. As is the case on all of the Ayreon albums, Lucassen has put together a very solid group of vocalists and musicians in the making of this album. Floor Jansen, Edward Reekers, Neal Morse and Damien Wilson are some of the notable vocalists who contribute their talent.

Arjen Lucassen's productions are typically slick and this album is no exception. Lots of vocal tracks are layered on top of each other creating a nicely-produced sound. Despite the impressive production and strong vocalists, what makes this record special are the songs. Lucassen has simply written some very nice tunes, particularly "My House on Mars", "2084, "One Small Step", "And the Druids Turn to Stone" and "First Man on Earth."

For those of you interested in checking out Ayreon, I think this album is a great place to start. Obviously, The Human Equation and Into the Electric Castle are the best Ayreon albums, but this one isn't too far behind in my opinion.

Lofcaudio | 4/5 |