Leprous - The Congregation CD (album) cover

THE CONGREGATION

Leprous

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

poito
5 stars In a way I coincide with some of the detractors of the fifth album of the band Leprous. They have been evolving continuously but some of the band's movements were not necessarily good, or at least they were risky to the global project. In particular, the band nearly completely dropped the solo passages, it all is orchestrated, no soloist pieces any more. But the creativity and originality of these giants is here at their best, they produce brilliant tracks one after another with the musical resources of their choice. The music in this album is a perfect thread of instruments in which all have an important creative labor, none is weak, and none is lazy, including bass and drums that have changed so many times in the lineups through the years. The themes appear more transcendent, solemn, may be melancholic as others pointed well. I do not listen to the lyrics, so I can't tell you if they are telling sad stories, but the music is kind of dramatic. I guess one may postpone having fun for a while when something important is happening. Whether it reflects the mood of the songwriters or they were after this effect on purpose I do not know, but it all keeps growing the legend. It doesn't matter what they do or how they feel, they always express it with amazing musicality. I see a step backwards though: their increasing use of melodic resources takes them too close to mainstream. I can imagine that someone approaching the band for the first time with this fifth album may not feel that impressed as if he knows the trajectory, and would probably be reminded of bands doing similar things or using similar sounds, like Ayreon, Muse, Comedy of Errors, Circus Maximus, Haken, and the like. Is it an evolution or a confluence? Anyway, for the time being, enjoy this masterpiece.
poito | 5/5 |