The Arthur Brown Band - The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown CD (album) cover

THE CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN

The Arthur Brown Band

Proto-Prog

poito
4 stars This is pure Rock history. Probably I must have heard Brown's hit Fire on the radio or on a TV show when I was a child because it is stuck in my head and I feel it somehow unconsciously guided my first musical taste before I become a researcher. It was the time when Iron Butterfly struck the world with the In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, Deep Purple was giving birth to the heavy lines of Rock music, and Hendrix changed the guitar playing. Besides all influences that you can find in the reviews about AB, I would dare to add he was a pioneer of high-pitch shouting in the Rock scene (remember Ian Gillan's classic shouting in Deep Purple?), curious because he had one of the deepest baritone voices similar to Kevin Ayers founder member of the Soft Machine, Zappa and Thijs van Leer of Focus. His casual, theatrical, and iconoclastic appearance on stage was also a prelude for many others as Peter Gabriel's, Alice Cooper, etc. And he also was close to Zappa in what is now call Avant-Garde subgenre. Besides the mentioned Fire, there are excellent tracks here dominated by the impressive Hammond of Vincent Crane, such as Come and Buy, Nightmare and Time-Confusion, all gems of protoProg. Even if you are still busy trying to cope with the tons of Metal Prog and derivatives, you may just remember this name for the times when you start digging in the roots of it all.
poito | 4/5 |