Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine: Biomech CD (album) cover

OCEAN MACHINE: BIOMECH

Devin Townsend

Experimental/Post Metal

UMUR
3 stars Iīve been a fan of Devin Townsend since his collaboration with Steve Vai on the Sex & Religion album. The first time I heard Devin sing I knew he was something special. I have followed his career ever since. Iīm a big fan of his work with Strapping Young Lad and I absolutely love his latest album Ziltoid the Omniscient. I have never been a big fan of his solo albums though, but I have started to listen to them again from start to see If I was wrong the first time round.

Ocean Machine is an album full of heavy metal tunes with full symphonic keyboard backup and of course Devinīs diverse singing on top. Anyone who has heard Devinīs work knows what I mean when I say full symphonic keyboard backup. Devin ( yes he also produces his own ( and other bandīs) albums) has made it his trademark to slap you in the face with a symphonic wall of sound which also includes the extensive use of samples. Itīs actually a very ambient sound. I canīt think of any other band that sounds more innovative in the heavy metal world than Devin. The man is always on the forefront of new things.

This debut solo album from Devin is actually very nice and listenable far from his more aggressive outbursts in Strapping Young Lad. There are some really beautiful moments on the album, but I do get a little tired towards the end. Itīs a very long album and I donīt think the songs are especially memorable which means the songs blend together. This is of course negative and the reason why I will only give the album 3 stars. I miss variation, so I can remember the songs better.

The sound quality is extremely good as on every album Devin Townsend has produced, the man is a genious behind the mixing pult.

All in all this is a very nice start to his solo career even though itīs not excellent in my book.

UMUR | 3/5 |