Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant CD (album) cover

GENTLE GIANT

Gentle Giant

poito
4 stars 4.5. Very few groups were crafting such complex music in 1970 as Gentle Giant did in its debut album: The Soft Machine, King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator, and Caravan, all preceded by The Moody Blues; am I forgetting anyone? Of course in that year many other came to life (ELP, Genesis, and Yes launched their first 5-star albums). Curiously, few of those true pioneers (let's leave the Beat movement for Klingons, please) made it in the international scene, maybe only the KC of these four. Their influence was however undeniable, but they only got public reconnaissance well after their time has passed. Actually, I first listened to GG long after they had disbanded (my country was off in the good times). If you get a remastered copy, you'll see how timeless this music is. Probably, the only sound that betrays the near half a century life of this GG is the unmistakable singing style of early 70's Rock and the Butterflyan drum solo in Nothing at All.

I understand this album was kind of a catharsis for the Shulman brothers who tried in the commercial side and failed. How good they did; the music won a marvelous band with such innovative power and compositional strength. If I don't give it 5 stars is because at moments the experimental composition doesn't seem natural, kind of forced. Anyway, this is not just the debut album of a great band that influenced many others for the years to come; it is a masterpiece in itself. Get it and get ready for a shock. Yes this comes from 1970!

poito | 4/5 |