Gentle Giant - Acquiring The Taste CD (album) cover

ACQUIRING THE TASTE

Gentle Giant

poito
3 stars 2.5 If the debut album was a fantastic opera prima that broke some molds, the second release by the GG was not that surprising. Only one year has passed, but what a year for the music! An impressive amount of new stuff had seen the light that had changed forever the way music would be made thereafter. I really expected more from this one. It sounds to me a bit forced, as if they had initiated a path with a lucky strike and did not know well how to keep on the track. Let's not forget where the Shulman brothers came from. All in this album indicates they were still mad at the industry. You cannot produce art for the revenge. It does not sound natural. There are some curious themes, but in general, inspiration is missing. There are no new elements, nor sounds or ideas, they just keep on experimenting with voices, and a composing style close to improvisational, but the result is neither appealing nor groundbreaking. We should remember that by the time this was released, King Crimson had already launched four gorgeous albums, the same number as Van der Graaf Generator and The Soft Machine, two by ELP and Caravan, etc, etc. I do not see the fireworks in this album. Certainly, a step back after a great debut. I'll rescue from the wreck a few tracks, The House The Street The Room, a nice Crimsonian cut, Plain Truth, and some parts of The Moon Is Down, but not precisely for their originality. They play around with other's recent contributions (from pioneers to followers).
poito | 3/5 |