Steve Hackett - Bay of Kings  CD (album) cover

BAY OF KINGS

Steve Hackett

ZowieZiggy
3 stars I have to say that that I am not a desperate fan of classical acoustic guitar but this album is somewhat welcome during Steve's career.

At least, we get rid of these awful sounds from "Cured" and "Highly Strung". This album is for your relaxation and peace of mind. As such, it works very well.

There are some beautiful melodies on this album : "Kim" of course. Delicate and sentimental.Unlike the opening and title track which is 100 per cent guitar oriented, this one holds some great fluting as well as elegant background keyboards. To bring some diversity in this work. Just before this, "The Journey" brought us in the mood of "Jeux Interdits" with some pleasant orchestrations.

At this point of the album, the story will repeat itself with "Marigold". And the baroque "Petropolis" is not great either.

I like the sweet flute in "Second chance". Such a peaceful ingredient. It adds a wonderful touch to this little piece of music. I guess that the global mood of this album was the justification to integrate "Horizons" in here. Always nice to listen to of course.

A good album to spend some time on a Sunday afternoon.The three bonus tracks just add some eight minutes of the same mood. Pleasant, no more.

If I could, I would rate this album with 2,5 stars. A bit too much of the same for me (and those orchestrations during "Calmaria" are not very much of my likings). But I'll upgrade it to three stars.

ZowieZiggy | 3/5 |