Tangerine Dream - Green Desert CD (album) cover

GREEN DESERT

Tangerine Dream

Progressive Electronic

progrules
3 stars Tangerine Dream has never really been a part of my progressive life so far. I heard of the band in the past and of course TD is a significant band in prog history but somehow I were never drawn to them. Checking all kinds of things and bands lately I thought I had to explore this band as well. It's part of progressive education so to speak, one at least have to try them to be able to judge.

So I ran into this one, but to be fair: I have no idea if this album gives a fair view of this band. Looking at it freshly (as a beginner) I feel it sounds like a mix between Kraftwerk and Jean Michel Jarre. And in this album it's quite clear to me: there are four tracks, the first and the last have strong resemblance to JMJ in my opinion and the two middle tracks have more comparison to Kraftwerk. I have no idea whether I have a clear view on this matter and maybe it's a totally faulty evaluation of TD but it's how I see it at first glance. Especially the last track has very strong resemblance to Oxygene part 2 in my believe. Big difference between TD and JMJ is though the fact that TD also uses percussion and guitar where JMJ just uses a synthesizer.

Anyway, I don't think there's anything wrong with Tangerine Dream, I like this sort of instrumental music without going overboard by it. I think I will explore some more in the future. 3 stars for this (3.2)

progrules | 3/5 |