Various Artists (Label Samplers) - Frog Pest Tree (Magna Carta) CD (album) cover

FROG PEST TREE (MAGNA CARTA)

Various Artists (Label Samplers)

Various Genres

progrules
4 stars When I bought this sampler almost a decade ago I only knew half of the bands on it. Right now I'm unfamiliar with only three so that means samplers have their importance. I checked out a few more in the meantime thanks to the sampler. I will give ratings for each song now to give a bit of an idea.

1. Dark Corners - Bozzio Levin Stevens: 3,75 stars. Bit of a wild track so if you like that ...

2. Out of Nowhere - Shadow Gallery: 4,25 stars. Great track from Tyranny. Harmonic vocals.

3. Impact 3 (No Returning) (Radio mix) - Explorers Club: 4,5 stars. And not even the best of the album.

4. Angels and rage (RRJ mix) - Cairo: 4,5 stars. Same story. Turns out to be a great sampler !

5. Scapula - Attention Deficit: 3,5 stars. Bit of a weird track. Could be interesting.

6. Bold John Barleycorn - Caliban: 2,75 stars. Quite a different story. Prog folk all over sudden !

7. Jacko - Magellan: 2,5 stars. Strange song. Didn't know Magellan made this sort of songs.

8. Tearing down the world - Royal Hunt: 4,25 stars. Typical Royal Hunt track. Melodic prog metal.

9. Ashen Days - Dali's Dilemma: 3,5 stars. Starts a bit boring but getting better later on.

10. Jacobites by Name - Tempest: 2,75 stars. Goes for this one as well. Another prog folk track.

11. Join (Home Demo Version) - Ice Age: 4,25 stars. One of those immaculate Ice Age jewels.

12. Freedom of Speeech - Liquid Tension Experiment: 5 stars. Best for last. LTE is truly brilliant.

So a very good sampler but lots of variation and I would be surprised if any random person would love all tracks. Mainly for prog metal lovers. If you don't know most bands I would certainly check this sampler out ! Average = 3,75 so 4 stars for Magna Carta.

progrules | 4/5 |