Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste CD (album) cover

ACQUIRING THE TASTE

Gentle Giant

UMUR
5 stars Gentle Giant are the masters of themes which they really begin to show here on their second album Acquiring the Taste. They can really make some memorable themes and then play them in different ways throughout a song. They are extremely intelligent composers in my eyes.

Acuiring the Taste is a natural progression from their debut. An album I really love for itīs raw power and innovative nature. This album is a bit more subtle and the aforementioned themes are really intelligently build into the songs. Kerry Minnear really plays some beautiful things on his many keyboards throughout the album. Just listen to album opener Pantagruel's Nativity which is one of those very diverse songs that only Gentle Giant can make. Itīs the most fantastic thing with this band, they have all kinds of influences ranging from hard rock to classical chamber music and they make all those influences fit into their songs with ease. Nothing ever seems out of place and youīre entertained the whole time. I really believe Gentle Giant is one of the best bands who ever played.

All songs on this album are masterpieces of progressive music, but I especially like Pantagruel's Nativity for itīs intricate instrumentation and diverse nature and Wreck for the hard rock edge and the symphonic parts. The sound quality is very good for the time even though I think the drums could have been a bit better sounding. Itīs nothing that destroys my positive mood and overall rating though.

This is of course a masterpiece of progressive rock and you just gotta have this one in your prog rock collection ( you probably already have). 5 stars almost isnīt enough.

UMUR | 5/5 |