Seven Impale - Contrapasso CD (album) cover

CONTRAPASSO

Seven Impale

javajeff
4 stars I was reading a review from another reviewer that mentioned groups like Beardfish and Van Der Graaf Generator, so I was immediately intrigued since those are two favorites of mine. I gravitate towards eclectic stuff since I find it interesting, but I also still love a good symphonic piece. Contrapasso is a very good album on it's own, but it is more experimental than the superb City Of The Sun. I actually hear many similarities to Motorpsycho, another Eclectic Progressive Rock band from Norway. There are times like listening to the track Inertia, where I could stick that right in the middle of The Death Defying Unicorn. There is also an injection of space rock in the mix. The vocals are very different on Contrapasso, with a deeper darker tone than the more softer singing approach on City Of The Sun. Contrapasso is a worthy addition to any prog lovers catalog. If you are new to Seven Impale, I would start with City Of The Sun first.
javajeff | 4/5 |