Meshuggah - Contradictions Collapse & None CD (album) cover

CONTRADICTIONS COLLAPSE & NONE

Meshuggah

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
3 stars This is tech metal band Meshuggah´s debut album. An album I have owned for many years. I had heard about Meshuggah and seen commercials for Contradictions Collapse in some of the metal magazines I read at the time. This version has the None EP included.

In time I have come to appreciate Contradictions Collapse more, but it will never be my favorite Meshuggah album. It´s way to imature. The tecnical level is very high, but I think there are too many ideas in every song to really catch my attention. Something I think is so different from the later albums from Meshuggah which are more repetitive but also more groovy and heavy IMO. I have a tendency to get tired of Contradictions Collapse after a couple of songs because there´s too much happening and no direction.

The production is good, but not outstanding.

The level of the musicians are so high that I have a hard time figuring out what they play at times. Tempo and time signature changes are a piece of cake for these guys and it is done with ease at high speed. I have always been fashinated by drummer Tomas Haake and on this release it is no different. The man is simply one of the best drummers in the world, if you like this kind of drumming.

None was released as a kind of teaser to Destroy Erase Improve. I remember when it came out, and the reviewers of various metal magazines praised this EP for the high technical level but also for the special groove that Meshuggah had on this release. I didn´t buy it then but have purchased it a couple of years ago.

The music is very different from the music on the debut album Contradictions Collape as Meshuggah have made their music more simple and groove oriented. A sort of technical Pantera you could say. At the time of it´s release this was called Groove thrash. Many bands followed in their wake and they were considered as a genre defining band. A role they have again taken with their later albums.

The more simple thrash metal on None suits me better than the tech metal attack they showed on Contradictions Collapse even though I am not too impressed. A song like Gods of Rapture is really cool though. Ritual has some singing from Jens Kidman but I don´t think it works very well. The last song Aztec Two-Step from the original EP is omitted from this version.

The production is a bit better than on Contradictions Collapse, but not really good.

As I gave both Contradictions Collapse and None 3 stars this will also be my rating here even though you obviously get more for your money.

UMUR | 3/5 |