Caravan - Caravan CD (album) cover

CARAVAN

Caravan

Canterbury Scene

UMUR
2 stars Beginnings are hard, is what I would like to begin this review by saying. Caravan who with their second and especially their third album made some of the best Canterbury prog rock albums ever, started out a bit more humbly. Not to say that this debut album isnīt good, but itīs not excellent by any means.

First of all the production is really bad, even for the time. The drums are noisy and I canīt make out whatīs happening all the time. Fortunately the charm in Caravanīs music makes up for this. Songs like Place of My Own, Policeman and Love Song with Flute are good examples of the early Caravan sound. Caravan donīt master the long songs yet as I feel WHERE BUT FOR CARAVAN WOULD I BE isnīt that well composed.

Caravan are great musicians and of course it shows even under these not optimal circumstanses. Listen to David Sinclairīs organ play in Place of My own and there should be no doubt that this band can play.

All in all this is an ok start to a brilliant career, but to be honest I only think this is for the fans really, therefore only 2 stars.

UMUR | 2/5 |