Genesis - Duke CD (album) cover

DUKE

Genesis

UMUR
3 stars Well here is where I get of. Genesis have almost made the transition into a commercial pop band. There is really nothing wrong with that, but when you think about the beautiful music they made up through the seventies this isnīt as fullfilling to me. Duke is clearly the best of the eighties Genesis albums as there are still some prog tendencies present here.

Behind the Lines, Duke's Travels and Duke's End have some great progressive parts that I enjoy and I also enjoy a song like Turn it on Again and to a certain degree Duchess, but songs like Misunderstanding and Alone Tonight are useless pop songs to my ears. When you sing lines like: There must be some misunderstanding, there must be some kind of mistake. I waited in the Rain for Hours, You were late. Iīm sorry but this is the kind of Rain rhymes with Pain lyrics that are so embarrassing that I almost canīt stand it. Where have the humour and the clever lyrics of the old Genesis gone ?

The production is totally stripped down if you compare it to the production on the previous album...and Then there Were Three. There is a much more organic sound on Duke. Itīs well produced IMO, but I miss the bombastic nature of ...and Then there Were Three. Itīs a funny thing really that almost every other band had a really platic eighties sound around this time, but Genesis was obviously still rooted in the seventies when it came to the sound. The keyboards are very eighties sounding though.

As always both Collins, Banks and Rutherford show their brilliant musicianship allthough I must say Iīm a bit disappointed about the drums from Phil Collins. They are way too simple and boring most of the time to satisfy a prog head like me.

Duke is a good album in many respects, but for prog heads there canīt be much of interest here. I know I seldom listen to it, and almost every time I do I think the same thing: Where has the intricate and beautiful music from one of my favorite bands gone ? There are enough good songs here to justify a 3 star rating though, even though Duke is not a favorite of mine.

UMUR | 3/5 |