Genesis - Nursery Cryme CD (album) cover

NURSERY CRYME

Genesis

The T
5 stars It took me more than a few listens, but finally, I had to concede. There's a song on this album that really defines progressive rock, that really stands out of almost every other song ever made (with the exception of a few, including one by this same band), and that's enough to make this record 5-star worthy.

And yet, there are 6 more songs in the album, most of them brilliant. Isn't Nursery Cryme a perfect album?

Something weird happens to me whenever I listen to it. I always get the feeling that I'm listening something I have to like more for historical reasons than because I actually like it. Yet, paradoxically, I hear the songs one-by-one and just can't find one that is weak. I can't even find one that's average! All of them are excellent!

And there's "The Musical Box."

If you haven't heard this song and album and want a description, scroll up (if you're on the album's page) or go to the album's page if you read this on PA's home page. I'll take the easy/lazy way out and only tell you my feelings towards the music. And I'll be very brief, too.

"The Musical Box."

There. I said it.

One of prog's (and rock's, and music's) highest zeniths, highest pinnacles. Everything falls into place. The playing by all members, the melody, the tension, the spectacular structure where themes grow and extasis is created, and Gabriel... I used to be a Gabriel detractor... After listening to this song carefully, I just think I should've shut up and be quiet, as the master was singing. All his followers, the Fishes, the Collins', the neo's, all learned from this song. Drama, passion, art.

This is not a song that you'll like the first time you hear it, especially if you're a young prog fan who's more into metal or more modern genres. The sound of the album is atrocious, even for its day. Give it time. Hear it. LISTEN to it. This is the opposite of background music. This is foreground music. You, yourself, will recede to the back of the stage when the box opens...

Salmacis and Hogweed are highlights, Seven Stones is brilliant. Every song has something to offer.

But it's in The Musical Box where I found justification to give five stars to this album. GENESIS's best song, surpassed only, in my view, by the perfect one they created a few years later for their Selling England By The Pound album. And, as such, one of the best songs ever.

Intelligent music, artistic music, heartfelt music.

Music.