The Gourishankar - Close Grip CD (album) cover

The Gourishankar

4 stars Close enough!

I remember I added THE GOURISHANKAR almost a year ago, and they were almost completely unknown for most Proggers around. It makes me proud seeing that ‘2nd Hands’ was one of the best- selling CDs from Unicorn in 2007, and I'd like to believe that I somehow related to this all ;). It makes me even more proud to note that I heard final mix of ‘Close Grip’ in December 2007, three months before its official release. Originally band's debut, it was re-mastered/recorded and released both on Unicorn and russian prog MALS label. One can feel that this is really a debut record - a glimpse of immaturity sometimes flashes through the walls of sounds and layers of arrangements, as if the band themselves still unsure where they are moving. Fortunately, it doesn't spoils the whole feeling of the album, it's still strong and promising work, so my 4 stars only because this is NOT the NEW material, hence it's very much related to ‘2nd Hands’. High-quality demos to ‘2nd Hands’ if I dare to regard it this way. I believe guys are working with some new stuff and I wonder what direction they take further. I wish them luck and patience, because popularity is what already expecting on them! Recommended!

Prog-jester | 4/5 |