Frost* - Falling Satellites CD (album) cover

FALLING SATELLITES

Frost*

poito
4 stars When I reviewed the debut album by Frost I showed my disappointment for what I considered a medley of styles dominated by pop with high pretentions. And I still think so. Ten years later, this Falling Satellites came to me trying to vindicate the band. The album is far more compact, still with Pop-Prog or something (some call it Neo-Prog) as the main headline in the first half, but it changes for a much, much better in the second. The music is better executed (everybody skills). Eclecticism is a word that cannot be applied here. By virtue of insistence they are kind of crystalizing, but wouldn't dare to say what this band has shaped. In tracks 1 to 6, the music is interesting at times (Towerblock), but there still are some incongruences, for instance in final part of Signs the singing disagrees and spoils the assemblage. The next track Heartstrings opens with a kind of power-disco sound and it interposes fragments of at least three totally different unrelated styles. This cannot dwell in a single head; it rather looks an artificial copy and paste blending. Sorry, I need some coherence; I don't like to listen to the music in a continuous alert state in case a piece of junk sneaks in. And coherence begins from track 7 on. Themes such as Closer to the Sun, The Raging Against the Dying of the Light Blues in 7/8, Nice Day for It, Hypoventilate, Lantern and British Wintertime could have make a 4.5-5 stars album.
poito | 4/5 |