Iron Maiden - Killers CD (album) cover

KILLERS

Iron Maiden

UMUR
4 stars Iīve owned Killers for many years. Actually Iron Maidenīs second album was one of the very first LPs I purchased when I was very young. I donīt think I was more than 12 or 13 years old back then. I never really listened to Killers that much though as it was always overshadowed by the the later Bruce Dickinson led Iron Maiden albums like Powerslave and Somewhere in Time. Iīve come back to Killers to make this review though and Iīm glad I did, this is much better than I remembered it to be.

The music is still rooted in the NWOBHM movement but there is a significant change from Iron Maidenīs debut as Adrian Smith has been added as second guitarist instead of Dennis Stratton who only lasted one album. The addition of Adrian Smith is heard clearly in the songs, as double guitar leads are now a dominant element in all songs. The double guitar work was also present on the debut but it wasnīt done with as much finesse as on Killers. There are plenty beautiful melodic solos here too, a real joy to a metal head like myself. The music never gets brutal or raw like other metal genres though and even though I hear elements of punk here too itīs all done in a melodic fashion. The two instrumental tracks The Ideas of March and Genghis Khan are great examples of how melodic Iron Maiden really are.

There are also some really powerful tracks here that needs to be mentioned and I will point out Wrathchild, Innocent Exile and Killers as being some of my favorite tracks here. A funny note here is that I think I hear some Captain Beyond influences in the song Prodigal Son. This just goes to show that Iron Maiden was very rooted in the seventies hard rock/ semi prog rock scene and you can hear it on the two first albums. Bands like Deep Purple and UFO are obviously big influences too.

The musicians are flawless and create a good environment for the songs to blossom. The two guitarists Adrian Smith and Dave Murray are exceptionally melodic and tight and Steve Harris dominant bass is so commanding. My guess is he is a big fan of Geddy Lee. People always complain about Paul Di'Anno and I also prefer Bruce Dickinson as the lead singer in Iron Maiden but I think Paul Di'Anno does a great job here and he is pretty diverse in his style really. Clive Burr is also a great drummer. Just listen to the crazy part in Genghis Khan if you doubt this.

The sound quality is very good for the time. One of the best productions on a NWOBHM album ever.

To my great surprise this album is really much much better than I remembered it. I was sure I was gonna give this 3 stars, but after a couple of listens I really think Killers deserves 4 stars. It is an excellent album from Iron Maiden.

UMUR | 4/5 |