Robert Fripp - Robert Fripp & Andy Summers: I Advance Masked CD (album) cover

ROBERT FRIPP & ANDY SUMMERS: I ADVANCE MASKED

Robert Fripp

poito
3 stars The second era by King Crimson beginning in 1981 with the album Discipline marked a totally different creative opportunity for Robert Fripp. But that is history. I did not drink much of Fripp's new obsession with beating rhythms. It certainly provides a hypnotic background that nails one down and gets forced to listen to whatever he wants to throw on top. That sound captured a new audience but not many followers of KC great early production joined. This album with Police's guitar Andy Summers is a side project not much different from KCII. Summers adds little to the overall sound, so outdoing is the beating guitar. Above it, there are some flying riffs which in the most inspired moments, sound much alike Ponty's or Metheny's in those years. In short, easy work for a genius having fun with a friend. Nothing new, No advance, masked or unmasked. Some trakcs I would keep are In the Cloud Forest, New Marimba, Gil on a Swing, even China.
poito | 3/5 |