Irepress - Samus Octology CD (album) cover

SAMUS OCTOLOGY

Irepress

Experimental/Post Metal

Moatilliatta
4 stars This falls somewhere between Russian Circles and Isis. There is the heavy/aggressive element as well as the soft, atmospheric one with some hints of jazz as well. I was surprised to see that this album was actually released before Russian Circles' debut.

So what we have here is a well played set of eight pieces. There are plenty of dynamics, quick shifts, technical fluorishes, and drum & bass grooves throughout. All of the tracks are quite good, but the closer, Nonografistole Adendum (Trampled to Death by Love), stands out above the rest and makes for a fantastic conclusion. In this track we have all of the elements of before, with an added section featuring a trumpet solo, and shortly after that, there is a section with some extra percussion (it sounds like some bongos or congas). Not anything bombastic or anything there; they are simply nice touches. If these guys keep making records, I think we will have another force to reckon with. They're off to a great start as it is.

Moatilliatta | 4/5 |