Tangerine Dream - Rubycon CD (album) cover

RUBYCON

Tangerine Dream

Progressive Electronic

poito
5 stars Mythic band of the 70's. The grandeur of TG was that spite of the artificial synth-based sound, they were able to turn heads of youngsters of an epoch so they listen to their music, no matter their Prog, Heavy, Jazz or any other orientation. Obviously, not all their work had the same effect, but their masterpieces did. That's the case of this Rubycon, probably the climax ever of synth music. Many would think of TG live concerts as boring shows where a few guys behind a bunch of synths and cables pressed a key every now and then. This probably was so in this album too, but the music is nothing like the improvisational spacy clouds they abused of previously. Rubycon is not even close, it has a notable variety of tunes mingling smoothly, in and out of the tide of powerful sound that these guys were creating from who knows where. It might have been the influence of math composers like Steve Reich; whatever, but the tunes were something new, never heard before, ground breaking indeed. Rubycon stands out of the rest of their production; it meant a gigantic step ahead in their trajectory, a true crossing of the Rubycon river. They jumped from ambient, spacy, extremely simple composition in the former album Phaedra to a completely different level; it only contains two 18 min long but magnificent tracks, full of blending tunes, mostly keys and synths, but also included a few drum bits and fabulous slow, but wall-shaking guitar riffs, fighting for a space in the air against the overwhelming pounding background. This album is precursor of machine music, space music, math music, and never matched. In a way, it redeems the intrinsic bore and natural poverty of electronic music that hooks on those parts of our brains and make us forget about our Self, so we either go and lie down, or start marching/dancing as puppets. But there are very few that can be spared, and Rubycon is the father of them all. I had not listened to it for more than 20 years, and I have to admit it has aged perfectly, even better, it has not aged at all, it is music out of time. Believe me, a masterpiece. If you don't get immediately captivated, probably you are dead, dear.
poito | 5/5 |