Tangerine Dream - Phaedra CD (album) cover

PHAEDRA

Tangerine Dream

Progressive Electronic

poito
2 stars Phoedra is probably the first album that hit the international scene for this mythic band of the 70's. Masters of synth electronic music, this album meant the end of an epoch in their career, or the start of a new one if you like. The difference with the next album Rubycon is enormous. You have here an essentially ambient music, neatly spacy, that puts you out there amongst starships, galactic monsters and laser guns, elegantly though, but there is little compositional work, that is the main difference with the new Rubycon's era. If you heard about TG, you probably are familiar with the later, this one you won't like it. Maybe one may get hooked for a while in the hypnotic rhythms and clouds, but that's it. I remember when I bought the tape nearly 30 years ago, I expected it would be similar to Rubycon, Ricochet or Stratosphere, but not even close, I got disappointed. Too much star wars for me. This is for fans of electronic music, which I do not see as Prog, though I respect other views. Anyway, by no means this has similar quality or style to Rubycon, as it appears from the ratings. Don't get confused, they are totally different and for a different audience. Phoedra is a minor work, only for hardcore fans of electronic music, and possibly overrated because it meant the birth of masterpieces like Rubycon and Ricochet. But get ready to bore, better if you skip it and go directly to those.
poito | 2/5 |