Tangerine Dream - Pergamon - Live at the 'Palast der Republik' GDR CD (album) cover

PERGAMON - LIVE AT THE 'PALAST DER REPUBLIK' GDR

Tangerine Dream

Progressive Electronic

poito
3 stars Fans of electronic music love TG, and this album is one of their best accomplishments. It was recorded in a live show but the material comes from 1981, released in another album recorded live called Quichotte of rather local distribution. I don't know how much the material was reworked from that one, as the band reused and reworked parts of their former material in subsequent albums. This tells of the feeble compositional effort, but we all know this is not one of the trademarks of electronic music. Anyway, this may be one of the latest shows including Johannes Smoelling, who in my view saved TG from the total decline when Baumann left and introduced new ideas that helped the band to maintain an acceptable level, and probably won a new audience and should be blamed for the final touch they needed to be considered a legendary band. However, in early 80's the sound that initiated a new style and astonished everybody in mid-70's with the mythic albums Rubycon and Ricochet was no surprise anymore. Though TG evolved acceptably well with the albums Cyclone, Force Majeure, Tangram, and this Quichotte the music scene was moving at speed of light and they lost the audience they had borrowed from other styles in mid 70's. If you are a fan of electronic music and do not get bored listening once and again to lengthy hypnotic rhythms, this album is probably a must for you. The formula is however exhausted and spite of admitting I like the effect this music has on me, I cannot give it more than a 3-3.5.
poito | 3/5 |