Votum - Harvest Moon CD (album) cover

HARVEST MOON

Votum

poito
3 stars 2.5

Music moves on with new bands adding small changes over the tons of notes poured in people's ears through the years. Every now and then, a band breaks ground and opens a window we've never looked through before. Unfortunately, this is not the case of this Harvest Moon, to which I came attracted by the ratings. The band plays compact, atmospheric soft-metal but does not add anything new to the ring. I like to keep distance so to check for creativity and originality. The music made by Votum in this album has neither of both. Here you get a mixing of former sounds by soft metal acts. The band is oriented to raise atmospheres and fill up ears in live concerts. Acoustic fragments followed by metal ones: the formula is catchy but not very original, exploiting the sudden outbursts of sound. At least it is well executed and they play with mastery these passages that have kind of hypnotic power and may take you off. The best is the bass/drum line, with a truly elegant drum player. Two guitar players, but very few guitar riffs, and these are easy, unworked, the keyboards are hardly appreciated and the music may get tedious after some turns. Sorry to spoil. I'd keep for my music library the opening track Vicious Circle and Numb. This music is for fans of Porcupine Tree and the likes of melodic metal.

poito | 3/5 |