Bill Bruford - Bruford: One Of A Kind CD (album) cover

BRUFORD: ONE OF A KIND

Bill Bruford

poito
4 stars 3.5 Jazz fusion is always a difficult music, not for all ears. I admire what these guys can do. No doubt this genre is a corner where very talented musicians meet to explore new avenues. I would say this is music for musicians. If you are not a fan of jazz-rock and it happens you drop by this album, it is likely you won't be very much hooked. The lack of melodies in this particular set makes it harsh for occasional listeners. I need some melody too for my brain to remind it; otherwise, it comes and goes, as a dish of exotic food that you'll probably never taste again. It is difficult to enjoy it on the run. One thing is true, for the time being, there are some elements pushing jazz rock ahead, but not much, anyway. I liked more what The Soft Machine and Weather Report were doing in mid-70's. My favorite tracks are The Abindong Chasp, Fainting In Coils, and Forever Until Sunday. But for my proggy taste the more interesting track is the closing The Sahara of Snow, a two part theme that blends recognizable styles that remind of JL Ponty, King Crimson, Soft Machine and Pat Metheny. By the way, Bruford is in my view the weakest part of the set in this album. He is OK, but faints behind the efforts made here by other gifted musicians like Holdsworth, Stewart and Berlin.
poito | 4/5 |