Black Widow - Black Widow CD (album) cover

BLACK WIDOW

Black Widow

poito
3 stars I came to this album searching for a version of the Mary Clark theme that appeared in a double LP sampler called Il Rock 71, with a picture of young Schwarzenegger emitting a red and yellow rainbow. My copy had worn out and as far as I know it hasn't been reissued in any way. Pity, because it is probably one of the best underground music samplers. Unfortunately, the track I was looking for was recorded differently and I didn't like the production in the original album, which is very defcient. Organ and guitar solos are often behind the acoustic guitar and drums. On top of this, there is an excessive use of stereo, so common in recordings of that period, when different instruments were recorded on either the left or the right tracks, which sounds a bit awkward. This makes the listening experience a bit painful, and you want it to finish and spare a bit of your brains after that much forced interaural integration. Leaving aside the awful production, there is a bunch of interesting Proto-prog Rock themes. This is 1970, and as such it should be judged. I do not find much resemblance to contemporary bands, except maybe the use of acoustic guitar by Soft Machine in some tracks. The album has a bunch of interesting ideas worth to check by diggers and Prog lovers. There are several tracks with long instrumental parts for the Hammond and the guitar, perfectly escorted by a great bass line and a very clever use of rhythmic guitar (as in The Journey). Check Tears and Wine, The Gypsy, and the curious choral singing in When My Mind Was Young, and enjoy the highlights Mary Clark and Legend of Creation.
poito | 3/5 |