Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here CD (album) cover

WISH YOU WERE HERE

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

BitterJalapeno
5 stars I owe my love of Progressive music to my Father and Uncle, the latter of which had an impressive collection of vinyl from the 60s & 70s. I may have a slight bias towards Wish You Were Here as it's the first prog album I ever heard (as a 16 year old in 2005, the album cover with the combusting man was too intriguing to pass by). Despite not particularly liking it at first and the fact my favourite Pink Floyd album has changed over the years - DOSTM, Animals, Meddle & Atom Heart Mother - I always come back to Wish You Were Here.

Shine on you Crazy Diamond (1-5) begins with eerie sounds from the late Wright, soon to be joined by Gilmour's smooth, delicious guitar which is played with such effortlessness that it can bring a tear to the eye. The intro is ended by a starkly different atmosphere with a beautifully simple yet massive sounding four note ostinato-like theme played by Gilmour which after a few renditions is joined by Nick Mason's captivating rolling toms and cymbals and a nice accompaniment from Wright. Gilmour leads the way once more with another incredibly effortless sounding solo. Additional outstanding sounds are produced from Dick Parry's Tenor and Baritone Saxophones.

Welcome to the Machine has a very creepy, almost anxious atmosphere about it. Gilmour's vocals add an angry, exasperated and even pained touch to the song, with the ascending steps on acoustic guitars bringing mounting tension which reaches a peak with Wright's incredible synth solo (Minimoog I believe).

Have a Cigar is less progressive than the Welcome to the Machine but I still hold in in high regard. It is easily the rockiest song on the album with a grinding rhythmic quality. The lyrics are incredible and the guitar solo is one of my favourites for sheer groove.

Wish You Were Here starts beautifully with acoustic chords and lead parts from Gilmour but the rest of the song I do not enjoy too much with the exception of the "do do do" vocals in unison with the guitar solo. I hate the production overall as it is very dry. The guitars and vocals both sound overly scratchy and in need a good lubrication if that makes sense.

Shine on you Crazy Diamond (6-9) is without a doubt my favourite track on the album and one of my favourite Floyd songs. I have yet to meet someone who agrees with me on this but I feel it surpasses parts 1-5 in terms of sonic delights. I urge anyone in the Glasgow vicinity to put this song on in the car on the M8 heading for the Kingston Bridge Northbound at night and revel in the beauty of this entrancing journey through sound as you gaze over the Glaswegian nighttime skyline. The vocalized section is barely different from parts 1-5 but the intro is amazingly captivating and the final 6 minutes is one of the most perfect musical compositions I have ever had the pleasure of hearing. The funeral march in the final minutes is reminiscent of instrumental sections of Disney's adaptation of The Jungle Book and despite the minor tone set throughout, it comes to end on a hopeful major - a beautiful example of tierce de picardie

Overall, an absolute stonker of a prog recording but could do with better production on track 4.

BitterJalapeno | 5/5 |