Cluster - 71 CD (album) cover

Cluster

Krautrock

Mellotron Storm
4 stars As others have mentioned when the band KLUSTER lost one of it's members(he went solo) they became a duo and called themselves CLUSTER. The music here is similar to KLUSTER but without the spoken texts.

This is the spaciest music I have ever heard ! I mean there is no melody at all only these dark, haunting soundscapes filled with atmosphere. I love it ! I can't believe there are no synths used on this either, rather they used echo machines and sound generators along with dual organs, guitar, cello and violin. Again these instruments were used to make sounds not melodies. This music really fascinates me, especially considering it was 1971. There are three tracks but no song titles.

The first song is my favourite, it's dark and at times haunting with waves of sound and pulses. It can be loud one moment and ambient the next. Pastoral then freaky. It's a trip.

This is one of these recording where describing it doesn't do it justice, it has to be heard to be believed. Interesting that TANGERINE DREAM released "Alpha Centauri" the same year because in some ways these two albums are like cousins to each other. Easily 4 stars.

Mellotron Storm | 4/5 |