La Torre Dell Alchimista - Neo CD (album) cover

La Torre Dell Alchimista

Rock Progressivo Italiano

4 stars I like their debut album quite a lot and this is no deception.

Of course, the title is really depicting what you'll get here. In the way that neo-prog walks on the paths of "Genesis", "Yes" etc. , this one is deeply exploring the world of ELP as well as the symphonic Crimson (ITCOTCK) thanks to the use of the mellotron.

There are extremely touching mellotron lines on this album ("Risveglio Procreazione") which reminds me the fabulous "Epitaph". What differentiates this band from, let's say "Glass Hammer" is that vocals are very good, there are some guest artists who add value (flute, sax and violin) and the mellotron is a definite plus as far as I'm concerned. Song writing is also more refined and personal.

The whole album is a nice journey back in time. If only ELP could have been recording such type of music nowadays! Still, purists should stay away from this album since it really borrows a lot. There are even two short piano instrumentals which could have been played by K.. I guess.

I have enjoyed this album very much. A great mix of the seventies combined with modern Italian melodic prog. A fine combination.

Four stars but the band should try to be more inventive for their next album.

ZowieZiggy | 4/5 |