Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways  CD (album) cover

Porcupine Tree

3 stars Porcupine Treeīs third album The Sky Moves Sideways is a step forward for the band. Their sound has matured and the songs are much better than they were on the two first studio albums. The music style is very psychadelic, slow and at times a bit too dragging if you ask me.

The Sky Moves Sideways phase one starts the album and the first part is very good with itīs almost Pink Floyd like groove. The last part which is almost the last 10 minutes of the song is more ambient without vocals and I canīt say I like this part of Porcupine Treeīs sound. I usually get bored during this section. Dislocated day is a pretty good song which is more vers chorus orientated while The moon touches your shoulder starts very subtle but ends with a climax. A great song that one. Prepare yourself is just a short instrumental without much relevance really. Moonloop which lasts for 17 minutes is a very ambient song which I find a very trivial and the same can be said about The sky moves sideways phase two which is a very long song too ( almost 17 minutes) that drags on a bit too long for my taste. Itīs a bit more exciting than Moonloop though and one of the better songs on the album.

The musicianship is very good and atmosphere is the key element in porcupine Treeīs sound on The Sky Moves Sideways and then dynamics.

The production is good and it makes the album an enjoyable ride.

This is not my favorite Porcupine Tree album. Itīs a bit too ambient for my taste. I prefer the shorter tracks to the long ones and thatīs always a bad sign. It is a good album though just not excellent. 3 stars is deserved for The Sky Moves Sideways. People who enjoy the Italian band Nosound should listen to this Porcupine Tree album as there are many similarities even though I think Nosound is a bit better.

UMUR | 3/5 |