Marillion - Clutching At Straws CD (album) cover

5 stars This is one of the better examples of neo-prog, a fine example of the sound progressive rock bands such as Genesis would have had in the mid 80's, if they hadn't ventured into mainstream pop. I like Fish, and I like Peter Gabriel. I may like Fish more sometimes, it seems that he was more interested in giving his audience what it wanted than was Peter Gabriel, who always seemed to be more obsessed with his artistic integrity. The music contains the intricate melodies and highly emotionally charged sections of Genesis, but not exactly the same musical complexity, they are compositionally similiar. I love them both. But yes, you are never going to get away from the comparisons between these two talented singers. We can always relate to Fish's messages, because he makes them clear, while maintaining a poetic integrity. PG couldn't always do that, and the lyrics to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway are a perfect example. Does anyone know what the Lamb is really about anyway? Another important thing about Fish, is that when I play his albums in the presence of friends who are fans of Phish, they always want to know what it is because they think it's PG. Most Phish fans have no idea who Fish is.
kabright | 5/5 |