Pallas - The Sentinel CD (album) cover

THE SENTINEL

Pallas

transend
5 stars Pallas! Wow, I met these wonderful chaps at the 'Baja prog' festival they played a few years back; really good people. I was very happy to have them sign my cpy of this CD!! OK, first off the bad news (from me anyway) here: The remastered/remixed/track added/ track re- ordered version here does nothing for me compared to the original LP. The biggest difference is the size of the sleeve!! Stupid, I know, but the LP cover painting was unreal, such a beautiful piece of art that got reduced to a fraction of its size on the CD.

Second: the mix. The original mix was a lot more 'proggy' and the remix is clearly more 'rocky'. The drum sound is more modern and current with rock now and not with the way the LP sounded. I actually still have the cassette of the album too, (the cover is a close up of the LP sleeve and works better than the CD sleeve) and it sounds great after all these years!

The next thing is the separation of 'Rise and fall' into two pieces, it perplexes me why they did this, I really liked the song the way it was and I still cringe every time I hear the CD version go into a different song near the end. 'Atlantis' also starts slightly differently curiously.

All this aside though. I love the album and have very fond memories of getting each 12 inch single for the extra tracks and buying the album the day it came out in 1984.

Great stuff, truly a memorable album. Five stars from me, but only for the LP version!!!

transend | 5/5 |